I’ve been building PCs since high school, even though back then they were made up of whatever I could find in bargain bins or second-hand. Computers are the tools I use to earn a living, support my family and pay for my hobbies, two of which also involve computers. This page lists what my current setups are.
Daily driver – 14-inch MacBook Pro (Apple M1 chip)
Since I joined Automattic, my new daily driver is a company-sponsored 14-inch MacBook Pro, with the new Apple M1 chip. This laptop is a beast, and while I still don’t like macOS, the new Apple hardware is impressive.
- Apple M1 Pro chip with 10-core CPU & 16 core GPU
- 32GB unified memory
- 1TB SSD
Custom-built as a new workstation in Dec 2020. I don’t use this as my daily driver anymore, but I still have it hooked up in my office if I ever need to access Ubuntu, Windows, or for gaming. During the course of 2022, I doubled the RAM to 32GB, and in Jan 2023 I upgraded the graphics to an RTX 3060.
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
- Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WIFI) Motherboard
16GBCorsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR 4 RAM
- Palit GeForce RTX 3060 12GB Graphics Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6GB
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe SSD
- 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5″ SATA Storage Drives
- Cooler Master MWE GOLD 650W ATX PSU
- Cooler Master Masterbox K500L ATX case
In 2023 I sold my home gaming PC and replaced it with the ROG Ally. I rarely did anything with the home PC anymore, besides gaming, and I much prefer gaming wherever I want to on the ROG Ally.
- AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme Processor
- AMD Radeon Graphics
- 7-inch 1080p screen
- 16GB LPDDR5 RAM
- 512GB NVMe SSD