I’ve been building PCs since high school, even though back then they were made up of whatever I could find in bargain bins or second-hand. Computers are the tools I use to earn a living, support my family and pay for my hobbies, two of which also involve computers. This page lists what my current setups are.
Laptop – 14-inch MacBook Pro (Apple M1 chip)
Since I joined Automattic, my new daily driver is a company-sponsored 14-inch MacBook Pro, with the new Apple M1 chip. This laptop is a beast, and while I still don’t like macOS, the new Apple hardware is impressive.
- Apple M1 Pro chip with 10-core CPU & 16 core GPU
- 32GB unified memory
- 1TB SSD
Custom-built as a new workstation in Dec 2020. I don’t use this as my daily driver anymore, but I still have it hooked up in my office if I ever need to access Ubuntu, Windows, or for gaming. During the course of 2022 I doubled the RAM to 32GB and in Jan 2023 I upgraded the graphics to an RTX 3060.
- AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
- Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS (WIFI) Motherboard
16GBCorsair VENGEANCE LPX DDR 4 RAM
- Palit GeForce RTX 3060 12GB Graphics Card
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6GB
- Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB NVMe SSD
- 2 x WD Blue 1TB 3.5″ SATA Storage Drives
- Cooler Master MWE GOLD 650W ATX PSU
- Cooler Master Masterbox K500L ATX case
Ex office workstation, this was a 2018 “workstation” upgrade for my previous PC, which I’d custom-built in 2010.
Now that I have the MacBook Pro, I’m probably going to turn this into a media center for the home, to replace the old Lenovo I have for that purpose. I had originally planned to turn this into a media centre, but it doubles as an Ubuntu workstation when I need one at home, and for home gaming. In Jan 2023 I migrated the GTX 1660 Ti graphics card to this PC when I upgraded the office workstation.
- AMD Ryzen 5 2600x CPU
- MSI x470 Gaming Plus Motherboard
- 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 RAM
- Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti OC 6GB
Zotac Geforce GTX 1060 3GB Graphics Card
- 128 GB m.2 SSD – Ubuntu
- 128 GB Transcend 2.5″ SSD – Windows
- WD Blue 1TB 3.5″ SATA Storage Drive
- Samsung 1TB 3.5″ SATA Storage Drive